The Outfield

How many songs can a brain hold? It happens to me often where I'll hear just a chord from a song I haven't heard in a long time, and all of the lyrics rush back. That occurred to me driving to work the other day, where I heard a John Denver song--can't recall the title of it now, something about going home, and I was thinking how I hadn't heard that particular song in probably fifteen years. I'm certain there are songs that I will never hear again that I used to listen to all the time, and some that I don't ever want to hear again (the first one that comes to mind is "Cat's in the Cradle").

And then there are some songs that I thought I would never hear again but that I can't seem to shake, like "I Don't Want to Lose Your Love Tonight," by the Outfields, a song that always reminds me of this guy from high school, Jimmy Deputy, who was an actor and went to a different school, but who I had a huge crush on. He had a really deep voice for his age, which I thought was unbelievably sexy. But, like, why do I have to keep hearing that song; one whose lyrics I still don't really understand, "Josie's on a vacation far away, come around and talk it over..." Who is Josie and why do they have to talk about it and who exactly is he singing this song to? I mean, it's a direct address, but it's not anything that a person would want to hear: "I don't want to lose your love tonight. I just want to use your love tonight." Oh, okay. That sounds like a good idea. 

Here's the group singing the song in 1986, in case you're interested in getting the tune stuck in your head for the rest of the day. Every single member of the band has a mullet.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz