Most Pathetic, "Pick Me!" Pop Songs

I don't know if I can come up with more than a couple in the few quick minutes I have before I must leave, but I have been meaning to write how every time this particular Abba song makes it through the shuffle, I always think, like, how is this appealing to anyone.

1. "Take A Chance on Me:"
Lyrics:
"If you change your mind/I'm the first in line/Honey, I'm still free/Take a chance on me/If you need me, let me know/Gonna be around/If you got no place to go/When you're feeling down/If you're all alone/When the pretty birds have flown/Honey, I'm still free/Take a chance on me/Gonna do my very best/And it ain't no lie/If you put me to the test/If you let me try..."

Like, who would say, Oh, really, okay. It's the chase. The chase is more fun and also, you want to be with someone who has a life, right?

2. "All for Leyna"
Some of the lyrics: "She gave me a night/That's all it was/What will it take until I stop kidding myself, wasting my time/There's nothing else I can do/'Cause I'm doing it all for Leyna. I don't want anyone new/'Cause I'm living it all for Leyna/There's nothing in it for you/ 'Cause I'm giving it all to Leyna..." and... "I'm failing in school/Losing my friends/Making my family lose their minds. /I don't wan to eat/I don't want to sleep/I only want Leyna one more time."
This is one of my favorite, favorite old Billy Joel songs from Glass Houses. You have to hear the tempo to really appreciate it.

(As an aside, one of my co-workers was saying the other day that he has a mantra he uses. He wouldn't tell me what it is because, he said, "That's like saying out loud what you want for your birthday...You won't get it." I said, "I have a mantra too that say in my head all day." He said, "Oh? What's yours then?" I said, "'Don't fuck up. Don't fuck up. Don't fuck up.'" That's pretty much the truth).
Maybe more later, have to run...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz