Boy Friends

It occurred to me today that I currently happen to know lots of really good men. I've always had good girl friends; women who are giving and thoughtful and willing to listen to me go on and on about cats and SVU and Flight of the Conchords and library books and the other things that disproportionally occupy my thoughts. And I still have lots of those girls around. But just noticed that I also happen to have a high number of good boys in my day-to-day life. There's Dave who will read my scenes and forgive me my trespasses. Padhraig who lets me steal back books I just gave him and makes CDs for my ipod. HH who said to me on the phone the other day, I wish I could hear you better on your cell phone. Your phone cuts out and I feel like I'm missing some of your Aimee-ness. The boy from Circle Thrift who offered to let me use the new restroom they've put in and who looks exactly like Bret from Flight of the Conchords (I swear to God).G. from my philosophy class who gave my teaching vita to the chair of the English dept. where he works and also M. from the same course who only ate half of his chocolate chip cookie so that I could have the other half (and this was without me begging for it).

Oh, and it turns out that the mama cat has defected to another, better cat hotel. She still shows up but hasn't brought the kittens back. I noticed today that she was hanging around outside and sort of glancing over her should. I figured that the kittens couldn't be far away. I stepped up on a milk crate to look in the direction she was facing and found that a rival neighbor has built a more elaborate home for the kittens, a sort of kitten nativity scene with a thatched roof waterproofed by garbage bags. Bastards! So, now, I have to come up with some kind of heating and plumbing system and perhaps a skylight and jungle gym to even have any hopes of her returning. At least I know they're okay.

Comments

Anonymous said…
i didn't realize the housing market was so competitive for homeless cats. she probably took out an inflated mortgage for it.

she'll be back in no time.
~c
Anonymous said…
All of the endless hours of crappy home improvement shows on TLC suggest that mama cat ain't coming back without some new granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances. It's all about a fresh coat of paint and an updated kitchen & bath.

Popular posts from this blog

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz