My Mother Likes Baseball

Here is an email I got from my mom last night with the subject header: "How About Them Rays?"

"Dan is right. If their records run this close the last 20 games, including tonight, they will both be in the playoffs. Whichever has the best record will automatically win the division, which is the toughest in the majors. That's what the Rays did in 2008, going from worst to first. Next year will not be so good as they are going to cut the payroll big time. And that means no more Carl Crawford or Carlos Pena. Crawford has the potential to sign a 140 million dollar contract for maybe seven years (20 million a year, not a lump), and that would probably be with the effing Yankees who buy whoever they want. I could go on and on in this vein, but if you have read this far, I will consider myself lucky. I hope your class tonight is inspiring and totally worthwhile. You are there as I write."

She grew up with 7 brothers and I think this is partially why she's a sports fan, but maybe it's also because Florida loves their teams. Anyway, I think it's cool that she's so into it and knows so much about it, whereas I am clueless.

Class last night was good--none of my fears came true (see previous post), and we were let out early instead of late. The only thing I'm worried about is that we have to pick a topic to research for our final project, which can be creative or non-creative. I'd like to write a short story, but it's not typically part of my process to get involved in a story via research. It seems like an odd way to write; like, to force your research into the story. I guess if I tried to write a story set in the Old West of Nebraska, I could research that time/place and add those details to my story, but why? Or I could try to write a story based on a true crime happening like Joyce Carol Oates sometimes, but I don't know yet have a particular tale in mind and again, seems odd to intertwine the truth with fiction in this false way. I guess it's because I don't tend to write heavily plotted stories. Most are based on character or situation, and not anything particularly sensational, like a murder. Other ideas: the history of fruit juice as told by a fruit fly, What if Freud met the Virgin Mary?, Terriers:Fact or Fiction? See, many of my classmates already have research project ideas, ones that are very specific and interesting. I haven't yet found anything. I could write about organ donation. Or something related to Occam's Razor. A mystery where a vital organ is stolen and the most obvious person took it. Please help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz