Anything you want, anytime you want it

That's how I feel about New York/Brooklyn. Every store that we go into has all the things you can desire and more. Even the local icky grocery store (C Town Town) has Annie's organic pasta as well as 500 different types of detergents. The people watching here is much better. It reminds me of David Cross' stand up about living in New York; at any given moment, you're given the choice, Do I look at the most beautiful person I've ever seen in my life or the freakiest person? Though I haven't really encountered that many crazies this time. Oh, but while I was waiting for Luke to meet me at Penn Station, I was approached by a skinny blond guy with too much hair gel who was trying to sell me tickets to the Laugh Company. He talked to me as if he were onstage and I were in the audience. "Where you from? What do you do?" His jokes were the worst I've heard since like second grade when knock-knock jokes were big. "Yeah, people from Philadelphia don't see many trees. I met a guy the other day who pointed at a light post and said, Nice elm." Then he said, "All of our comedians are professionals. They either have to have four TV credits or be Black...Because everyone knows that Blacks are funny and that white men can't dance." Luckily, me cell phone rang at just that second, but his last attempt at a connection was to say, "Can I have a hug?" I said, "No, no, you can't have a hug." When I got off the phone, I saw that he had disappeared and was grateful.

Went to Beacon's Closet with Liz and found a great black dress that Liz bought for me with part of her $50 credit. Also purchased a pair of bird earrings and a necklace with a white heart pendant. Now we're trying to decide what to do with the rest of our evening. I am a lazy person. I would be happy to just watch TV and smoke cigarettes. But really, I should take advantage of the fact that I'm this close to Manhattan. But I don't much care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz