Day 25: Last Tuesday

Words written: 4,118
Number of Google searches using "organ donation": 50

It can always be the last something. Today is the last Tuesday. Yesterday was the last Monday. Tomorrow...

Here is how the day goes: I wake up at about 9 a.m. (or later, be honest). I brush my teeth and put in my contacts. I make coffee. I walk the dog. He poops. I feed .the dog, adding ham or some other meat as incentive. He either eats it or doesn't. I get my notebook and I sit outside with coffee and breakfast (banana, yogurt). I journal and that leads to some scenes. Carson shows up around 11 a.m. and she and Chap make fast circles around the yard. I drink more coffee. I write lists of scenes to work on at the library. I eat a cupcake (I am the only one eating cupcakes). Around lunchtime, Raluca comes down and we get on our bikes and ride into town. She wears a helmet. I do not. In town, we coast over to Left Hand Coffee Shop and order a $6 dirty chai or something like it. We sit for a while and then either walk or ride to the library, where I hope to get the carrel I like. Today, the librarian told me I couldn't have coffee in the carrel, even though I've had it with me every morning. I said okay and mostly obeyed. I open up 750 words.com and start writing. If I get stuck, I go to the writing in the notebook or I grab books off the shelf. This afternoon, I picked out Charles Baxter's Feast of Love because it's told in the first person present tense. I also took Lorrie Moore's Who Will Run the Frog Hospital, a book by Meg Cabot, and Denis Johnson's Jesus' Son, because it includes the story "Emergency" which I love and which is set in an ER. I write and pause and I read and I write and pause and then I Google "pancreas" or "intestines" or "how did Denis Johnson die?" (cancer). I do this for about three hours, until I reach the word count. After one hour, the computer reminds me every fifteen minutes that it has granted me an extension. 

We leave the library are 5 p.m. and ride home. The ride back is harder, because the hills are steeper. I get home, walk the dog, eat something, and then read or go over the writing and blog. That's been the pattern most days. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Consumed