Home again

Now I'm back in my house and it's 3:31 p.m. because of spring forward and I have no idea what to do with the rest of the day. I should clean the floors, the bathroom, should finish putting together the baskets I bought to organize the basement. Instead, I'm staring at the Sunday crossword, trying to think of a six letter answer to the clue "Actor Ryan." So far, I have filled in about .01% of the squares and am stumped.

Came home to find children playing in the back yard and noticed that they had dropped Doritos bags in my yard, so went outside to retrieve them. One of the kids saw me and I smiled and then another kid yells, Lady! as a warning, but the girl answered, It's okay, she's nice so I felt accepted. Went out again a few minutes later because I recognized one of the girls--she introduced me to her white cat who has one blue eye and one brown eye on the first day I moved in. I asked them if they wanted to meet Ernesto. One of the girls said, Oh! I think I saw that cat sitting in your window. Is he gray and white? I said, Yes. I snatched up Ernesto, who was freaking out because children are noisier than he's used to. They all reached over to pet him and wanted to know if he was a boy or a girl. They wanted also to meet Henri and I said that he was hiding under the bed and they could come in and meet him next week once he has calmed down. This will never happen because he will never be child-ready. I held the soft bunny and it sniffed at my mouth. I made a face and they all laughed, so we're friends now because I'm that silly woman who lives alone with two cats. They asked me where I work and I said, Temple University and the boy said, Oh, I know that place! I said, Yes, you should all go to school there. Then I went inside. Next time I see them, I'm going to ask what the people who lived here before me were like. I'll be fishing for compliments, hoping they'll say, Oh, totally uncool, not like YOU!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I wonder if you got my phone message when you were sitting home wondering what to do with your day? Hmmm...
Aimee said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aimee said…
No, otherwise I would've had a better day I"m sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Consumed