Our Little Friend

We were innocently watching some bad TV last night, when, out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw something moving in the dining room. A little shadow, as it were. "Could that be a mouse?" I inquired. Please don't let it be a mouse, I thought. It was almost 11 p.m., way past my bedtime and I knew that if it was a rodent, I'd have to deal with an adrenaline rush for the next half an hour. We peered under the desk, and a little creature darted to the blinds. It was our mouse friend, the one I'd heard rattling around the week before and the one Dan and I spotted after his yoga class the same night. The worst thing is that it probably wasn't the same mouse, but one of the 500 hundred we have nesting and reproducing in our crawl space. Without giving you a boring blow by blow, Dan somehow managed to trap it underneath the lid of a bin, and then we weren't sure what to do with it. For a short time, I thought that we would just have to kill it. Like, drop a very heavy book on it and smash its little skull. Instead, Dan managed to slide a piece of paper underneath the bin, and then a piece of cardboard, and finally, a painting so that the bottom would be steady and not bow when Dan picked it up. All this time, the little thing was scrambling around, looking for a way to flatten itself down to sneak underneath any gap. Pride and Prejudice and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes assisted us in keeping it under the bin.  After about fifteen minutes, Dan managed to stand up and take the mouse outside, where he released it into the freedom of the dumpster area near our house.

Here is the video evidence. It's boring because I used the Flip to try to edit it and couldn't. So, watch the beginning and then maybe just the last thirty minutes.


Comments

Mihaela Pojogu said…
oh my, I'm afraid of mice :D

Popular posts from this blog

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability