Summer Reading: Death and Murder

For some reason, I've been on a true/fake crime kick for the last couple of months (I thought that would be a good first line for a short story. Something like, "The summer she found out about the cancer, she couldn't stop reading true crime novels..." Yesterday, I went to the Penn library and checked out a stack of books that I'd found online after searching for the Edgar-Award winners. The one I should probably read that I won't is Norman Mailer'sThe Executioner's Song.
The link goes to Joan Didion's NYT review from 1979. The book itself is about 4,598 pages long and weighs ten pounds. I mostly read while lying down in bed, so I'll need like some kind of special pulley system to hold it upright. I also checked out a book about people who work with serial killers and one called, Women Who Kill. I'm also reading one by Laura Lippman called, I'd Know You Anywhere. Even the title is creepy, don't you think? Another that I've started is  The Chatham School Affair by Thomas Cook; not loving this book, if only because it's thick with foreshadowing. It reads like this: "Later, after all of their lives were destroyed and many others lost in that terrible and bloody accident involving candles and Fluffernutter, he would think of this moment and remember that he had thought to remember it...." I made that up, clearly, but you get the gist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz