Wuthering Heights Starring the Cast of The English Patient

I caught some of the 1992 film version of Wuthering Heights last night, starring Ralph Fiennes as Heathcliff and Juliette Binoche in the dual role of Catherine and Catherine (I think?). Fast forward to 1996 and they are once again together in The English Patient. I am so proud of myself for making that obvious connection. I read Wuthering Heights a long time ago, and had it confused for awhile with Jane Eyre, and so was upset at the end when Heathcliff died in this version. I thought the manor would be burning down and he would end up with the living Catherine, not the dead one. I also thought that the mad wife would eventually be revealed (again, wrong story). Imagine my surprise when Catherine ran off with the farm boy (her cousin? Nephew? Brother in law once removed?). It reminds me that I need to be reading better books. Any time I read interviews with well-known authors, they're always talking about how they read Chekov every day and are inspired by the writing of Henry James and Faulkner and Eudora Welty, and meanwhile, I'm waiting for The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest to come out in paperback. I'm also reading a Edgar-Award winning mystery called The Monster in the Box, by Ruth Rendell. It's not bad, though some of the sentences turn in on themselves in a way, perhaps because the writer is British? Like, instead of writing: "He walked down the street to post a letter" it will read something like, "Down the street he walked, letter in hand, and in the shoot it did fall." Almost like a nursery rhyme in places.

And here's a link to my newest favorite blog, called Hyperbole and a Half. To be fair, Padhraig sent me it to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability