What in the World Has Come Over Me?

Had a fairly innocuous Tuesday...Nothing crazy happened at work, I was in a pretty happy mood, good music on my ipod and then, very close to my house, I crossed the street after one car had gone past the stop sign, but apparently, the SUV behind that car didn't want to wait his turn and barreled forward without stopping. I probably would have been hit, except for this little hipster couple waiting to cross next to me who said, "Watch out!" I stopped and was not hit, but this upset the driver, who pulled forward and then stopped his tank. In the SUV was a fat man, his wife, and this twenty year old guy.

The driver said, "Watch it, you jerk-off! What the hell are you doing?"


I yelled back, "It's called a stop sign! Learn to read."


He said, "Hey, jerk-off, take off your fucking ipod!"


I said, "Ever take driver's ed?" The twenty year old jumped out of the back seat, to do what? Beat the crap out of me? I don't know. At the same time, the driver started to pull forward. I cried, "Don't forget your son!" The kid jumped back into the car, more "jerk-off's" were thrown my way. I finished with, "Happy holidays!" The car sped off.


I said to the hipster couple, "Sorry about that. Awesome way to end the day."


I don't know what came over me. I typically avoid conflict at all costs and normally would've apologized for not allowing myself to be flattened. It was liberating, in a way and also scary. Maybe I should scream more often.
Tomorrow, I will have Thanksgiving dinner at Lisa Marie's house. I spent an inordinate amount of time looking for crafts that we could do for fun. As a result, we will be coloring pictures of pilgrims and perhaps also making turkey finger puppets.
Here are 10 things I am thankful for right now (not in order of importance):
1. My health
2. A sense of humor
3. My awesome awesome friends
4. Those goddamn cats
5. Books
6. My mom
7. Being fortunate to be white, American and living in this century
8. My brain
9. Trader Joe's
10. That digital camera that I hope to get for Christmas!!
Okay, now you should send me your thankful lists.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz