Me, Me, Me

How does one balance self-promotion and modesty? I don't know. So, like, I want to tell you good things that are happening to me, but at the same time, I feel like apologizing for being so self-centered. Pretend I'm writing about someone else. Not me. Not me got an e-mail the other day from a literary agent who read my story, "Wanted," in Cimmaron Review and said that he thinks that I could do well with a novel. He suggested that I send him 50 pages of a novel and he would read it and potentially shop it out to publishers. I wrote back to tell him that I do have a book of short stories coming out and that I had a couple of ideas for a novel. He responded with an anticlimactic e-mail that basically said, Well, when you have 50 pages, let me know. I think I could write an Evie book, but I don't know what it would be about. I am resistant to writing this Bridget Jones type book where everything works out in the end and the fat girl gets the hot guy. I'd rather write a novel where the woman doesn't end up with a man. Where she discovers that her entire identity doesn't rest on her ability to attract a man. But maybe that's not so marketable.

Comments

Liz said…
Aimee - that is so f*ing cool! And, for the record, I'd love that kind of a book. And I think it would be very marketable. I'm that person - and so are lots of fabulous women I know and love.

This is so cool. Can I be your date for the Quill Book Awards dinner hosted by Al Roker?
Aimee said…
Of course you can be my date, as long as you promise to let me hit on Al Roker.
Anonymous said…
aimee--rock on and write the book you would want. it is the one your like-minded women folk, like myself, would read and tell a friend. plus, life is too short to spend it doing something you do not believe in.
Aimee said…
Really? You'd read a book where the woman didn't end up with a partner and happily ever after? Promise??
Anonymous said…
of course i would! and, i would even recommend it to my friends!
Anonymous said…
i would totally read it, too.

~c

Popular posts from this blog

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Consumed