City Life

Molly told me a story the other day about how she was riding the bus and this frazzled, homeless woman was asking passengers for change to help poor children in a Christmas choir. She appealed to Molly directly and explained how every donation would receive a small gift as a thank you. Molly said, I only have fifty cents. The woman said, Every little bit helps. So Molly handed her the quarters and the woman gave her a pen without a top, something she had obviously picked up off the street. Molly was like, Oh, thanks...Similarly, I watched a homeless guy reach into the trash last week and pull out a McDonald's drink cup, sip what was left in it, and then throw it back into the trash. I also saw two guys walking a chihuahua after dark. They were using a tiny little flashlight to find the dog's poop. In other news, there are too many cats in my life. I actually made Liz allergic to me last night simply by sitting next to her in clothes that didn't appear to be covered in a fine dusting of cat hair, but were apparently saturated with catness. Emma Carol is everywhere at once and into everything. At this moment, she is on the kitchen counter drinking out of my water glass and I supect after she's done, she will run across my computer on her way to the window. Often, I am just an impediment to her. Here she comes...

Comments

Liz said…
Wait! We never determined it was you who made me itchy. Could have been the meatloaf loving man on the other side of me. Could have been any number of things...And it went away later so I suspect it was not you.

Popular posts from this blog

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz