I'm rushing a sorority!

Now that I'm on a campus again, I'm reminded of all of things I like and one or two things I don't. Within short walking distance I can: rent a video, have my hair cut at the Chop Shop, go to the bank, buy tokens, purchase Rice Krispie treats or other necessities from the7-11, check out and return books from the library (being able to return them is key. I just paid off $65 in overdue fees to the Philadelphia Public Library which has no drop boxes and is open from 12-4, Mon.-Thurs. every other week), go to the gym, see a lecture, concert, or art exhibit, browse through Barnes and Noble, order a Starbucks chai vanilla latte, search the Web on a laptop at the new computer lab, buy a beer from Draft Horse, play pool, and stuff my face with falafels, crepes, or Chinese food from the numerous silver kiosks parked on street corners. In my old job I could: run five blocks to buy a crusty, overpriced sandwich and hurry back to eat it b/c we only were given half an hour for lunch and were not allowed to eat at our desks (my stepdad had a similar rule: no eating outside of the kitchen. So in a way, it was a familiar rule). Every day when I walk down the sidewalk and see the Temple flags blowing in the wind, I say thank you, thank you, thank you, to the world.

Comments

Anonymous said…
you are a character.
where was this victorian house?
On columbia ??
thanks for the links

see ya soon
DOminic

Popular posts from this blog

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability