The Book Club of Plays

We're going to discuss the John Patrick Shandley's Doubt today in the Sweeten House book club--read it last night and though I haven't seen the movie, I couldn't stop picturing Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius and Phillip Seymour Hoffman in the role of Father Flynn. Great writing--I want to figure out how Shanley makes the strident sister likable--she shouldn't be. She's telling the younger nun to stop being so innocent, to focus less on music and the arts, to look for suspicious activity, essentially. But then you're still on her side, probably because you start the story with a presumption of guilt on the part of the priest.
What will we read next? I would like to suggest some short stories, but I'm worried that my co-workers won't like any of the stories I think are good. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz