Amy Winehouse Lives In South Philly

I swear I saw her today on the subway--same, highly-piled, pitch black dyed hair, pointy face and darkly rimmed eyes. She was wearing a black and white checked suit with a pink blouse that had a ruffle down the front and headphones. Lots of make-up, painted fingernails, and a tag on the belt of her skirt for Jefferson Hospital. No discernible drug paraphernalia that I could spot from my seat. A man also brought a tiny dog on in a cage and this one little boy on the train could not stop talking to it and getting on his hands and knees on the floor to stick his fingers in the cage. I couldn't really see what kind of dog it was, but it's had on a pink collar tag that flashed across the car. I like taking the subway except I still don't understand why people bum rush at the City Hall stop--like, they always try to get onto the car before others have exited. But you can't. So, just stand back and let people off first. I try to be the example.

Going to State College tonight for ArtsFest Weekend. Happy Valley. Maybe I'll stop by and see our old building owner at the Heather Bloom, Helen, or knock on Carl's door, the former crack addict turned manager. That was a great building. I had two bedrooms and a sun porch and a huge living room and dining room for like $300 a month b/c Jodie and I were the building managers. Why didn't I just stay in SC with Adam and teach classes? Well, b/c I was afraid of becoming PK. I suppose I could've applied to the PhD program. But I definitely didn't want to study lit and had no brilliant ideas to carry a thesis in rhetoric, so...So now I live in South Philly with Amy Winehouse, punk rocker turned receptionist.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amy is just the best!!
Aimee said…
Yes, if only she weren't a hopeless addict...........

Popular posts from this blog

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Consumed