Dancing into the New Year

Went to Zumba today and am getting better at it, though I still mess up. The teacher is named Pam, and I guess it's a Zumba thing that they have to wear gear with the word "Zumba" somewhere on it, because all of them do. She never puts her hair in a ponytail. She is good about leading and offering options. She is always late, so the class is more like 50 minutes long. We do dance-y moves and also arm exercises. Lots of jumping up and down and going in opposite directions. I imagine I am auditioning for a Broadway show. I also imagine that the teacher will one day take me aside and ask me if I have had dance lessons (I have not). She will say, "Look, have you ever thought about becoming a Zumba teacher? You're a natural." As I'm day-dreaming about this happening, I often realize I am moving in the opposite direction of everyone in the class. I am always proud of myself when I get both the hand motions and the steps coordinated, which happens about 75% of the time.  Most of the women in the class are my age or older. In the strength training class, that's also true. Am I getting stronger? I feel like my triceps are weak, and when Linda Fan makes us do tricep push ups, I still kneel. I'm waiting to see muscle development, but there's so much arm fat jiggling around that it's difficult to tell if underneath that, my arms are rock hard. After class, I try to recreate the moves for Dan, and one time, I fell while doing it ad hurt my knee.  I forgot that you aren't supposed to wear socks and attempt to sashay. The gym also offers a ballet-type class, but I've not taken it. I imagine it's quite a lot of plie-ing, since that's the only thing I know about ballet. The other day at the gym, I saw an old man on a machine where you have to mostly move your arms. His head was down, and he had a wheelchair parked next to him. He also had a huge bandage around his right hand.  He continued to turn the lever thing with the bandaged hand, and something might have been wrong with his leg too. Later, I figured out that his wife was using the machine next to him, but for a while, I thought someone had just parked him there indefinitely and couldn't imagine how he was going to escape. They have this other machine that allows you to do lower abdominal crunches while standing up (I can't explain it any better than that. I would have to draw a picture). I watched at least five different people do it so that I wouldn't get on the machine and embarrass myself.  They would do a few lifts and then rest. It looked super easy. I tried it yesterday. It is not easy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz