Preparing for the force to awaken

I remember that when the original movie that came out in 1977, I liked Luke Skywalker the best. He was the good farm boy, with sky blue eyes and a cleft chin. He was the innocent, the one who was orphaned, the one with the quest. Han Solo, I thought at age 8, was too conceited, mean, and old. I identified with Luke, because he was in love with the Princess and she didn't seem to even notice him (much like Rawl Brown in my third grade class). Han Solo bossed him around and was unreliable, a rebel who had a giant teddy bear sidekick and a sneer. However, by the time The Empire Strikes Back came out in 1980, I had aged considerably (age 12) and so saw both Luke and Han differently. The actor, by this time, had been in a car accident, which aged his face and took away his boyishness. I actually don't remember much about the movie, except that the love story between Han and Leia was more of a focus and I was at an age where swooning kisses seemed like the only thing I ever wanted to happen to me in real life. I had turned the corner, and now preferred the gruffness of Han than the earnestness of Luke. That has not changed. About Return of the Jedi, three years later, I only remember being appalled by the oozing Jabba the Hut with Princess reduced to his sex toy in a gold plated bikini and neck chain. Does she end up strangling him? I believe so. Luke remains the anointed one, but at the expense of having no love interest. I mean, other than his sister. But probably my favorite character of all was R2D2--he reminded me most of a really smart robot dog or cat. He was loyal and unafraid, and also the most vulnerable in some ways. I am excited about the movie, as long as R2 will be in it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Consumed

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz