Like a Sit Com Character

Last night, I had a moment where I thought, Oh, please, please, let me just go back in time. What happened was that I was in a nightgown (I change out of my work clothes even before I've arrived in the door. My key is in the lock and I'm already kicking off my shoes) and I decided to take out the rest of the trash. It was already dark, so, even though I was barefoot and wearing something that looks like a slip, I figured I could quickly take out the trash and run back in. This is called laziness. And cutting corners. And general foolishness, because I was in such a hurry to get out of the door and back in, I didn't put on a coat or a pair of shoes or grab the house keys. The second I opened the door, Ernesto burst out of it, onto the sidewalk and down the street. I panicked and shut the door after him. That's when I realized that I had locked myself out of the house. And was on the street in night clothes without a phone or any other device for rescue. Also, the cat was still running away. I could feel the immediate panic; not knowing what to do. I think I even stuck my hand in mail slot, as if my hand was going to suddenly shrink down small enough to fit in, and then stretch around to the door knob. I went after Ernesto--I could see he was near the alleyway and if he ducked down there, I would've been in real, real trouble. The last time that happened, Dan and I spent two hours walking around the neighborhood trying to find him. So, I went down the sidewalk, calling him, and he was freaked out enough to come to me. I grabbed him and hurried back to the house. I imagined myself going to my neighbors house and asking for help, but they don't have a key and I haven't memorized the cell phone of anyone who does have a key. Once at the door, I used my super human adrenaline terror-filled strength to break open the screen door and and shove Ernesto through the cracks and then I could reach in and turn the knob. The whole thing took like 3 minutes, but I needed like two more hours before I felt normal again. Morale(s) of the story: Always bring your keys. Always wear a bra. Never own cats.

This is what happens when you are locked in due to fears and inhibitions.

Aside from my pride, here is the only injury I sustained knocking in the screen.




 And here is what Emma Carol did to my other hand the day before.




You are now officially caught up on my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Consumed

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz